On Death

 On Death


9/21/20

Friday, it was a Friday. August 20th, 2021.  I will never forget that night for as long as I live on this earth.  Everything, so crystal clear yet so foggy.  Like a raging river that night came rushing at me.  I was powerless to stop it, though I tried so hard.  That uneasy feeling came over me when Eric didn’t answer the door.  Aaron was supposed to stay the weekend with him.  I stopped by once, no answer.  Figuring he was out with a friend for a moment or napping, we went on to an appointment for David.   Stopping by again, an unsettling feeling came over me as Aaron knocked again, but no answer.

I pushed it to the back of my mind as we drove off.  He just forgot.  He was out with a friend.  I was annoyed, how could he forget about Aaron coming over?  I felt bad for Aaron who wanted to visit his dad.  Still, I pushed it out of my mind.  

Exhausted after a long week of teaching, I hurried and made dinner.  Then decided to take a nap.  The boys settled into their Friday night routine of movies, discord calls, & games.  I fell asleep.  I woke up around 10pm to darkness.  The boys were still awake.  I feel my phone vibrate and check my messages.  A friend of Eric's messaged me to ask

“Have you heard from Eric?”

This awful feeling in the pit of my stomach rose.  I knew in my heart he was gone.  But I still hoped, prayed it wasn’t true.  The night became a blur after that, yet so clear too.  Such an oxymoron, right?  Messages went back and forth.  The police were called to do a welfare check.  They told "T" they can’t “break in”.  I was so mad.  Why not?  Other people have had welfare checks and police went in, at least according to news stories.  Why not this time?  

I remember "T" telling me that an officer kept telling him to “find a window” he could get in.  He did.  One that had a window a/c was easily accessible.  He told me he would call back.

I was beside myself.  I couldn’t let my sons see the distress so I remember asking my neighbor if she was home.  I need someone with me.  I was scared to be alone.  I kept thinking “my sons, please don’t take him because of my sons.”

I sat on her sofa, sick, shaking, I don’t even remember much of what I said.  I do remember "T" calling back.  I heard his voice wavering.  I heard someone crying and screaming in the background.

“No, no, no, no…” I kept saying in my head.

I hear the words...

“He’s on the floor, he’s cold.  There’s blood everywhere.”

That line hasn’t left my mind.  I remember sobbing and saying “What am I going to tell my boys?  What am I going to tell my boys?”  Over and over and over.

I can’t even continue typing right now.  It’s only been a month.  When I think of it, I keep going back to that Friday night.  That awful, sick, dark feeling.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.5 years later....I still wonder about you tiny one!

She was using food stamps! Why doesn't she work? Those are MY tax dollars!

The Anniversaries of Death