Marvelous muffins...a versatile batter.


I love to bake and try new concoctions.  Sometimes it works, other times I can only shake my head.
Today I found something that works!


I was in the mood to make some kind of coffee cake style muffins of loaf.  Plus I had quite a bit of yogurt that's going to go bad because I won't be able to eat it all before the expiration date.

Using sugar, flour, baking soda and powder, yogurt, eggs, oil, and milk I made a better that Ive found can be quite versatile.

The Basic Recipe


1 cup of all purpose flour
5-6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combined dry ingredients in a bowl, give a quick whisk



1 egg
2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 plus 2 tablespoons yogurt
3 tablespoons oil


Whisk together wet ingredients in a bowl, pour onto dry ingredients and whisk until blended.  Don't over mix.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.



Now the tweaking.
I used strawberry yogurt, and added in chocolate chips.  It passed the taste test with my sons so I know I have a hit!  Especially with a son whose Autistic and has Sensory Integration Disorder.  He's my super picky eater.  And as you can see from the picture, I put my batter in a pie dish and it makes a cute little pie style cake for serving with coffee or tea.



I haven not tried any other flours yet [whole wheat, spelt, sprouted] but I want too.  However keep in mind if you do use another flour it will probably be more dense.  Which is the norm for those flours.

This is where the versatility comes in.  You can use any sweetner of your choice:  Honey, agave, maple syrup, stevia, splenda, etc.
You can use any yogurt of choice: plain, Greek, vanilla, blueberry, lemon, etc
You can use any "add" ins of choice like berries, fruit chunks, chocolate chips, etc.

In short you can make many "flavors".  The yogurt certainly can give it flavor, but if you use a plain yogurt a sweetner like maple could give you a nice rich maple coffee cake type muffin or loaf.

Because the yogurt also gives it a kind of "creamy" heaviness, you could use a lemon or cheesecake flavor yogurt and make a cream cheese glaze.

Bake up something yummy.  If you find something that just knocks your socks off with this recipe, please share it in the comments!
Maybe you can make it Vegan style and share it with us!  Make low-cal/low carb/weight watchers style?  Share it! 

So pull up that chair, pour yourself some coffee or tea and have a slice of yummy goodness with me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She was using food stamps! Why doesn't she work? Those are MY tax dollars!

6.5 years later....I still wonder about you tiny one!

The Anniversaries of Death