The passion in my heart, the fire in my soul!

I'm finding that after 40 years on this planet, no matter how fast I run, how far...no matter how often, how long or how hard I push that ever consuming fire to the furthest reaches of my life....It comes back burning brighter, making its presence known...beckoning...."DO SOMETHING!"

Sometimes what to do EXACTLY down to the detail can be vague.  What to do generally can be an entirely different matter.

My heart, my soul, my life burns bright AND heavy burdened with thoughts of those who suffer.  Those who sleep tonight without a home, while we have a roof over our heads.  Those who went to bed hungry or were lucky enough to have maybe a meal, perhaps the first one all week...while we have our pantries and fridges stocked.  Those that have infinitely  less than I, yet I take forgranted more often than I'd like to tell you.

Weather or not one shares my faith in Christ these following principles can be understood and followed by anyone of any path.

Three things I know for sure about this longing in my heart....


1.) I know WHAT to do.
2.) I know whom I need to do it for.
3.) I know WHY I need to do it.


1.) Simply?  I want to help those less fortunate.  My heart breaks in a million pieces when I think of the homeless, those without food, without basic human needs being met in any circumstance.  So WHAT do I need to do.


Deuteronomy 15:4-11
4 There must be no poor people among you because God is going to bless you lavishly in this land that God, your God, is giving you as an inheritance, your very own land. 5 But only if you listen obediently to the Voice of God, your God, diligently observing every commandment that I command you today. 6 Oh yes - God, your God, will bless you just as he promised. You will lend to many nations but won't borrow from any; you'll rule over many nations but none will rule over you. 7 When you happen on someone who's in trouble or needs help among your people with whom you live in this land that God, your God, is giving you, don't look the other way pretending you don't see him. Don't keep a tight grip on your purse. 8 No. Look at him, open your purse, lend whatever and as much as he needs. 9 Don't count the cost. Don't listen to that selfish voice saying, "It's almost the seventh year, the year of All-Debts-Are-Canceled," and turn aside and leave your needy neighbor in the lurch, refusing to help him. He'll call God's attention to you and your blatant sin. 10 Give freely and spontaneously. Don't have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God's, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures. 11 There are always going to be poor and needy people among you. So I command you: Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors. 

Those in need.  What I need to do is help those poor.  It's more than my duty, more than my spiritual responsibility, more than a command.  I WANT to help, I DESIRE to help.  It consumes my very being!  I WILL help!

2.) Who should I help?  Where are they?

Matthew 25:32-40
34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. 35 And here's why: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, 36 I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37 "Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? 38 And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' 39 40 Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me - you did it to me.' 

I will help those who are the "least".  Those whom we hear people say about them:  "get a job", "junkies", "drunks", "they'd have a home if they worked", "they take advantage of people/of the system", and the list goes on.

The LEAST of these.  I'm not God, it's not my position to judge their hearts.  I'm only commanded to HELP, to feed, to cloth, to give a drink, to LOVE!  To show COMPASSION!  To show Christ's grace and mercy to a merciless world.

Just because we may not think someone is worthy, or they aren't making good choices, doesn't mean God loves them any less.  It's up to God to change hearts, not me.  I'm just here to serve the least of these.

3.)  Why?  I've had people say "you can't save the world"  [although I'd love to try!].  Or they don't really want to be helped.  Let them go hungry a few meals and they'll work.  People fail to realize that so often it takes people changing from the inside out and that my friends can take YEARS.  Years of mentoring, of counseling perhaps, or rebuilding.

Are we mentors to them, are we teachers, are we counselors?  What are we doing to HELP them rebuild?   

Things like addictions, cycles, deep wounds take years to heal.  Simply getting a job won't help.  To give up addictions means to climb out of the darkest hole one has ever been in and while I'm here to be a light, I am NOT THE light.  THE Light is what shines brighetly into that hole.  THE Light is who reaches down there with loving arms to pick them up.

I am just here to serve those in that hole.  Why you ask?

Hebrews 13:2
2 Be ready with a meal or a bed when it's needed. Why, some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it! 

Who truly knows when it could be Christ himself that we are serving?  I don't ever want to take the chance that turned Christ away and didn't show the love HE taught me to show because I felt someone was unworthy, or taking advantage, or not worth my time.  

I desire only to serve.  I feel like I'm crying out over and over again "Here am I, send me!"  I'm ready.  Life is all around me, all around us.  People need help every hour of every day.  I pray everyday that I can hit that mark!

Everyday! 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.5 years later....I still wonder about you tiny one!

She was using food stamps! Why doesn't she work? Those are MY tax dollars!

Unconditonal Parenting