The call to live in a hut!

I'm watching a show on Netflix about a family who visited El Salvador, the poorest parts, helping families in true poverty.

I am reminded of 3 major things.

1.) Even though we [my family and I] struggle, we are still extremely blessed.  Our struggles are no where near their struggles.  One El Salvadorian family on there had 14 children, but 4 have died.  One was 3 weeks old from malnutrition.  

2.) I am reminded of my own mission trip with my home church in Ohio to Honduras roughly 13 years ago.  We saw, encountered and felt so many of the same things as this family did while visiting.  It seems like only yesterday that I was there.

AND...

3.)  No matter how hard I have denied it these past 13 years, no matter how much I push it to the back of my mind, no matter how much I don't want to acknowledge the deep connection I felt in Honduras and how I did not want to board the plane to come back to "reality", no matter how hard I try, I can not escape the fact that I have felt and always feel called to live in that hut, to help these very people who have nothing.  And so many days I don't even know where to start now.

I realize how extremely blessed I am every.single.day when I sit down to a feast at my table.  Yet these people and many like them who have lost loved ones because of lack of food for weeks, still go without.  Sometimes I want to scream "stop the world!  Seriously, how CAN life go on for us when people, when 3 week babies, are dying because they have NOTHING and we have an overflow of food?

What can I do to help?  Where do I start?  I know Eric doesn't have the same calling in this sense, but I can not escape this growing yearning and uneasiness in me that I need to be doing something.

Something!  My heart is actually heavy tonight thinking these things, looking back at memories and old photos.  Something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She was using food stamps! Why doesn't she work? Those are MY tax dollars!

6.5 years later....I still wonder about you tiny one!

The Anniversaries of Death